When I was a kid I’d joke to myself that I must be conventionally good looking because I didn’t match the conventions for UNconventional good looks.
The convention was
- With longer than usual shins
- With narrow hips
- With auburn or ebony or tawny (yeah, not red, black, or blind) hair
- Breasts, regardless of size, are proud
The faces though —
- Unusually wide set, uptilted (yep, that’s the word) eyes
- Which are green, grey, or icy (huh?)
- Eyebrows are also uptilted (that word again!), except when they’re level. Level brows go with grey eyes.
- Very wide mouths
- Short upturned nose
- Broad jaws
My looks didn’t, and don’t, fit this convention. I’m short, and busty, and my nose is large. Indeed, my features are large and somewhat asymmetric.
And yet, I realized recently, I’m conventionally beautiful. My hair, while mousy, is thick, soft, and shiny.
My eyes are large.
My skin is beautiful.
My teeth are good.
What I have never had is fashionable looks.
Food for thought.